Simon Robinson (1956) the respected English conductor, was born in Liverpool, England. He graduated from the University of Surrey in 1978 and received his Master's degree there in 1991 having specialized in interpretation. Whilst in England he studied conducting with Maurice Handford and Vernon Handley and later with Boris Švara and Oskar Danon. Since 1978 he has held appointments as conductor and guest conductor with various orchestras, opera houses, and choirs throughout Europe and is, at present, the principal conductor of Slovene National Opera, Maribor, Slovenia of which he has also been Assistant Artistic director on several occasions. Mr. Robinson was a prize winner in the 1983 Leeds International Conducting Competition, has won various medals with The Academic Choir of the University of Maribor and was granted the dignity of an Ordinary Officer of the Civil Division of the Order of the British Empire in 1998 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for services to Music.
- 31.12.56. Liverpool, England
- University of Surrey 1975-78 B.Mus., (Hons)
- University of Surrey 1990-91 Master of Music
- SNG Maribor Opera Assistant Conductor/Repetiteur 1978
- Principal Conductor since 1979
- Guest conductor of Slovene Philharmonic (1982- ).
- Guest conductor of Belgrade Philharmonic 1988-90
- Guest conductor of Croatian Army Symphony 1998-2000
- Conductor of Academic Choir of Maribor 1994-2002
- Associate Conductor RTV Slovenia 2000-2001
Professor of Conducting. University of Maribor (1992- ).
- Professor of Musical Literature, Academy of Music,
- University of Ljubljana (2002- ).
- Guest conductor of Opera Novi Sad (2007- ).
- Guest conductor of Opera Belgrade (2009- ).
Prizes and Awards:
- eds International Conductor’s Competition ; Prize winner 1983.
- Rector’s Prize of the University of Maribor 1997 for “ The furtherence of the Art of Slovene Music”.
- Glazer Prize, Maribor for Excellence in Music in Slovenia.
- Granted the Dignity of an Ordinary Officer of the Civil Division of the Order of the British Empire and presented with such by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, 20th October 1998.
- Collegium Musicum, Guildford.
- Merseyside Youth Orchestra, Liverpool.
- University of Surrey Symphony Orchestra.
- University of Surrey Strings.
- Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra, London.
- Cambridge Symphony Orchestra.
- Scottish Ballet, Glasgow.
- Nottingham Chamber Orchestra.
- Maribor Opera.
- Maribor Chamber Orchestra.
- English National Opera North, Leeds. England.
- Prague Radio Orchestra, Czech Republic.
- Ljubljana Opera Orchestra.
- Slovene Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Orchestra of RTV Slovenia
- Joze Hermanko Festival Orchestra.
- Belgrade Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Maribor Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Orchestra of the Croatian Army.
- International String Orchestra of Youth and Music.
- Academic Choir of the University of Maribor.
- Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
- Liverpool Welsh Choral Union
- Orchestra of Vienna University
- Serbian National Theatre, Novi Sad Opera
- Symphony Orchestra of Veneto, Italy
- Serbian National Theatre, Belgrade Opera